Yesterday, we explored the City Center quite a bit. We first rode over to Bloemenmarkt, which is the world's only floating flower market. It's a series of shops located on one of the canals that holds a bunch of flowers and souvenirs, mostly all sorts of Netherlands' famous tulip bulbs that you can take home to plant. Although quite touristy, it was cool to see the different kinds of flowers that the shops were selling.
 |
| Bloemenmarkt |
We then walked around much of the City Center, admiring all the buildings and canals, trying some tasty Dutch fare, and people watching.
 |
| Koninklijk Paleis - the Royal Palace |
 |
| Popular Dutch food - Vlaamse frieten with a spicy mayo. SUPER YUMMY! |
 |
| Taking a break along a canal |
At around 2pm, we decided to go back to our neighborhood to just hang out, get a snack/drink, and get some rest. We tried another Dutch delicacy - Hollandse nieuwe haring (herring). It wasn't bad! It wasn't fishy at all, and it really tastes more like smoked salmon. Adam really liked it!
 |
| Hollandse nieuwe haring |
We ended our day with a trip to the Red Light District. At around 10pm we rode back over to the city center, parked our bikes, grabbed a drink, and then walked around the district.
 |
| Our bikes in front of a canal |
 |
| Amsterdam at night |
 |
| People-watching while drinking a beer. |
I'll say that the area is interesting, and it's nothing like we've ever seen before. And boy, it was crowded with all kinds of people- bachelor/bachelorette parties, couples, and just people out for a good time on a Saturday night!
Photographs are strictly forbidden here, so I'll try and paint you a picture. The streets are lined with red-lit windows of prostitutes (blue-lit if they're transgender) dressed in lingerie, trying to grab men's attention. Mostly, people were just looking as they were walking. Some men would stop and talk to the prostitutes (negotiating is my guess??), while a couple of other men just walk right in. The area also houses many bars, strip clubs, an erotic museum, prostitution information center, and sex shows. We did end up going to a very popular show at a place called Casa Rosso. A couple days ago, we were talking with a Canadian couple, and they told us it was a "must-go"...mostly because it's a unique experience in Amsterdam and we'll never get a chance to see this type of thing again. So, why not?! We decided to go! I'll just say that I saw things that I can't un-see, and sharing that here is probably inappropriate. But it was interesting! It was definitely a "rite of passage" upon visiting Amsterdam, but something I don't feel the need to experience again. ;)
Alyssa, I'm so enjoying your journey. I must confess that though the pics of your husband are nice, I need to see some of you, that's all.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're enjoying it! I'll have to get my husband to take more pictures of me. =)
Delete